Book Review: He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys by Greg Behrendt

He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys by Greg Behrendt
Publisher: Gallery Books
Number of Pages: 187
My Copy: Kindle Edition

Everyone can use a daily wake-up call.Now in bite-size mantras, the abridged empathetic wit and wisdom of the number one New York Times bestseller He's Just Not That Into You will recharge and inspire your dating outlook one wake-up call at a time. For ages women have come together over coffee, cocktails, or late-night phone chats to analyze the puzzling behavior of men. Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo are here to say that —despite good intentions— you're wasting your time. Men are not complicated, although they'd like you to think they are. And there are no mixed messages. The truth may be, He's just not that into you. He's Just Not That Into You —based on a popular episode of Sex and the City— educates otherwise smart women on how to tell when a guy just doesn't like them enough, so they can stop wasting time making excuses for a dead-end relationship. This book knows you're a beautiful, smart, funny woman who deserves better.

This is a self-help book. That I didn't know until I started reading it, you see, I don't read blurbs and the back covers of books even its GoodReads description most of the time perhaps because I want a book to surprise me, and this book did just that.

I saw the movie first so I was under the impression that this is the novel equivalent, nevertheless, I liked this book better. Better because I learned a lot from it than from the movie. It made me laugh all the more laugh at myself, because at 23, I must say that I've tricked myself as well into thinking of too many excuses when in fact I know the truth that's breathing under my neck... he is just not that into me.

Truth is, I read this book while my friends and I are figuring out this certain guy. We fondly call him Max for a corny reason - codenames (Yes, so highschool!). Max had been sending me mixed signals prompting me to sing along with Katy Perry's 'Hot and Cold' every time I'm with or even talking to him. Reading this book made everything clear: If the guy you're dating doesn't seem to be completely into you, or you feel the need to start "figuring him out", please consider the glorious thought the he might just not be that into you. And then free yourself to go find the one that is.

So, from this day onward (and let this be my covenant), I will follow Greg and never will I waste the pretty EVER again!

Rating: ★★★★

Favorite Quotes


If a (sane) guys really likes you, there ain't nothing that's going to get in his way.

All these years I'd been complaining about men and their mixed messages; now I saw they weren't mixed messages at all. I was the one that was mixed up.

I realized that from that day forward I would be spared hours and hours of waiting by the phone hours and hours obsessing with my girlfriends, hours and hours of just hoping his mixed messages really meant "I'm in love with you and want to be with you."

This superstar of a woman is confused about a situation that to me is so clear. Actually, confused is the wrong word, because she's too smart for that. She's hopeful, not confused.

Stop making excuses for him, his actions are screaming the truth: He's not just that into you.

Men are not complicated, although we'd like you to think we are.

Why stay in some weird dating limbo when you can move on to what surely be better territory?

The word "busy" is a load of crap and is most often used by assholes. 

Why should you feel honored for getting scraps of his time? Just because he's busy doesn't make him more valuable.

You want to be the cool girl - the girl who knows how to hang out and not be all demanding. That's who I always wanted to be. That's who I always was. The thing about cool girl is that she still gets her feelings hurt. She still has reactions to how she's being treated. 

Maybe this is just me, because my priorities have changed as I've gotten older. But now I don't want to be "sort of dating" someone. I don't want to be "kinda hanging out" with someone.

Bettter than nothing is not good enough for you! If you don't know where the relationship is going, it's okay to pull over and ask.

Don't let him make you feel stupid about wanting to feel loved.

Don't spend your time on and give your heart to any guy who makes you wonder about anything related to his feelings for you.

I believe in love the verb, not the noun.












0 comments:

Post a Comment

Library Mistress Credits: Code by Emporium Digital