Book Review: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury





Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Number of Pages: 179
My Copy: Paperback

Guy Montag was a fireman whose job it was to start fires ...
The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning ... along with the houses in which they were hidden.
Guy Montag enjoyed his job. He had been a fireman for ten years, and he had never questioned the pleasure of the midnight runs nor the joy of watching pages consumed by flames ... never questioned anything until he met a seventeen-year-old girl who told him of a past when people were not afraid.
Then he met a professor who told him of a future in which people could think ... and Guy Montag suddenly realized what he had to do!
The novel started off very tedious for me, too poetic, very flowery (and not that flowery is not all good, it's just that, it's just too much, and too much really isn't good most times).

Then, I realized, maybe, just maybe this kind really isn't my thing, considering, I'm used to reading just romantic novels. But just because I don't give up on anything that easy... I tried to endure it. It fascinates me more and more as I continued, it naturally became sort of like a comic book to me, Good vs Evil, Strong vs Weak...

It eventually became a little dragging throughout the second chapter. It's as if Bradbury's prolonging the ending we are yearning for, I don't know about you, but I didn't expect it to end like that, I felt that as a reader, I needed so much more.

And then it hit me... yes, that's what Bradbury wanted me to do... that one very thing his modern age world did not... to think, to live life with a meaning, to drift away from spoon fed information, and to continue reading.

Or not? I don't know... But for now, let me think that way.

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Favorite Quotes

“Books are to remind us what asses and fools we are.” 

“Why is it," he said, one time, at the subway entrance, "I feel I've known you so many years?"
"Because I like you," she said, "and I don't want anything from you.”

“Stuff your eyes with wonder, he said, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.”

“We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?” 

“The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies.” 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Library Mistress Credits: Code by Emporium Digital